Thursday, September 4, 2008

We're In!!

We are officially in the new house. Our first night there was Saturday night. The move went...well... it was interesting. A few things went bad, but over all it was a success. We hired painters to paint the dining room, kitchen, and living room. It all looks AMAZING. We still need to paint more eventually, so that is one project for the weekend. The other project is getting all the rest of our stuff out of the garage. Our garage is packed full of boxes and all sorts! Here is a list of our exciting adventures:

* FRIDAY NIGHT - Geof and our friend Steve worked hard to paint one of the guest rooms and bathrooms... after the 2nd coat (2nd gallon of paint) dried, it was slightly off color. Now he has to re-do the entire thing. Bless. Next time he'll take my advice and MIX both gallons of paint together first. :)

* SATURDAY - Movers damaged 2 of the most expensive pieces we have (bdr furniture), plus they dropped Geof's desk off the truck and broke it without repair. Scratched up the fridge and put holes in the wall at the townhouse. The bdr furniture was the last thing off the truck, and when I saw the damage.... I had to walk out of the house. It was all over for me at that point. Little did I know it was only beginning.

* Sunday morning Geof mows and weeds the yard. Looks AWESOME - but... He clips the wire to the air conditioner. No AC from Sunday until Tuesday. Nice. It was 90 degrees here by the way. (I tell myself, it could be worse). I do ponder sitting down with the bottle at this point though.

* Sunday Geof finds out his uncle passed away, so he is headed to Delaware first thing Tuesday, and now has to work all day Monday. Anyone see where I packed my flask?

* Tuesday comes around and the AC guy shows up to fix the air. He comes downstairs and says to me, "Um, did yall know you have black widow webs in your laundry room closet? I didn't see the spider though." AGGGGHHHH!!!! I mean, what did he expect me to say?? "Oh yeah! We knew that - that's our pet spider. We call him Spot. He's probably chillin out on my pillow case about now." Geez. I suddenly get flashbacks of 3rd grade science flim strips with deadly insects. Remember those?

So, one bad luck event after another, but really in the grand scheme of things - we are so excited and are REALLY looking forward to the weekend when we can continue to unpack and slowly continue to settle in. The Terminix guy comes tonight, the movers are going to have our furniture fixed (other than the desk), and we are SO thankful to be in a bigger house with a backyard for Max. He is LOVING it!! I'll try to post more pics eventually....

Geof gets back in town tonight and we have nothing much going on this weekend other than the Titans game Sunday (woohoo!). So, it's paint and unpacking time for the Vickers!!!!!!! Here's a pic of the dining room. My favorite room of the house. I can't wait to get a table and a chandelier. Some day. If you look close, you can see the gray color over the pantry door in the kitchen.....love it!

3 comments:

Abbe said...

Congratulations! The paint looks great. I have to admit I think I would have to stay at a hotel over the spider, that is my GREATEST fear.
Can't wait to see more pics of the house.

Amanda Brooks said...

Turns out, it wasn't black widows. YAY!! Only cob webs. That air conditioner guy was an idiot. I slept much better last night. :)

LilStarOfTexas said...

Amanda! Congrats on the beautiful new house, and for surviving the move. :) I hate moving, and you seem to have had a particularly bad run... But now you're in, and the fun begins. Can't locate your email address anywhere - could you email me at lilstaroftexas@comcast.net? Would love to keep in touch better. ~Evelyn